Thursday, November 7, 2013

Boston Marathon Tragedy

Yesterday, a tragedy unfolded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Two incendiary devices were detonated within seconds of each other, killing three people and seriously wounding dozens of others. Like all terrorism, it was a senseless and hateful act committed by gutless cowards against innocent people. Our prayers and thoughts go out to all of those affected by the vicious attack as well as to the friends and families of all of the victims.



At the time of this writing, no suspects have been apprehended, but history is on the side of justice. There is no doubt in my mind that the person or persons that perpetrated this heinous act will be caught, brought to a fair and speedy trial, prosecuted and punished to the maximum extent of the law.

As a father of an 11 year old son, my heart especially goes out to the family of the 8 year old boy that was killed by the blast. I can only imagine the heartache of such a loss. Death is always a sad affair. Unexpected death is even sadder. But the death of an innocent child borders on the unfathomable. I can think of nothing more tragic than the unexpected death of a young, innocent child. As America deals with another senseless act of violence, it serves as one more sad reminder that life can be fleeting and that the end can come without any warning.

Last night I took an extra long time putting my son to sleep. I was slow and deliberate as I took my time and reveled in the moment. I made sure to tell him how much I loved him and how important he was in my life. Tonight I will do the same.

In our rush to work, and our rush to school, and our rush to live, we forget that sometimes we need to just slow down and love each other. It shouldn't take a tragedy to remind us of how lucky we are to be surrounded by our family, and our friends and our loved ones. Slow down, and give thanks for your many blessings. Show your family and friends how much you love them and how much they mean to you. And above all, let's be kind to one another, for after all, we are all family. We are all brothers and sisters. We are all God's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment